How To - Converting a photo to DXF
Making laser cut projects is a lot of fun, but what better way to personalize an item then to include a portrait of yourself or a friend? Using Inkscape it’s easy to create an engraved outline from any photo you like.
- Download and open Inkscape. It can take a few minutes to open.
- Import the image you want to engrave
- Under the Path toolbar select Trace Bitmap
- You can now use the preview window to select between Brightness cutoff and Edge detection as the tracing method, and set Threshold values that make your image look great
- Now "Save as" and select the file format DXF
Now that you have the dxf file, it’s easy to import it into a program like Draft Sight to combine it with your existing project DXF.